Down-Home Charm Photo Album Songbank Fan-Fiction History Books Fan Art Miscellania Links
Fan-Fiction >
Alternate Realities >
"Rogue's Gambit"

Rogue's Gambit

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11

This story is unfinished.

Disclaimer: All characters belong to Marvel comics which means the author doesn't intend to make any money off of them. This tends to be a spin off from the animated series with elements from the comics (no, #350 did not occur in this). This is a toned down version of a previous submission.


gambit.gif (2496 bytes)
Part Eight

The streets hadn't changed at all since the last time he'd walked them. The smell of fish, the swamp, and crowded humanity surrounded him here. Steam rose from the pavement as the ever-present October rains washed over New Orleans. But he knew no amount of water could ever wash away the past he had tried put away from himself.

Gambit made his way toward Saint Marie's Cathedral, toward Père Louis-Marie, the priest who had assured him the papers he needed lay safely in the church's files. Torn between a longing to get the business over and return to his love and the desire to at least see his adopted father, Gambit's steps took a roundabout way to the church.

Remy knew the danger . . .all those years ago both the Assassins and Thieves had exiled him from his home . . .turned him away from all he had come to love. Yet now that he'd found another to care for, another cause to call his own, he wished to make peace with his past. If only he could find Jean-Luc alone he might at least speak to him . . .let him know his reasons behind Julien's death. Most likely a futile wish, he knew, yet something drove him to do it . . .to settle old accounts.

He paused before the Thieves' Guild's headquarters, seeing the massive doors again with new eyes. His gaze swept across the front of the building, shadowed in the night with only a single lamp before it. There . . . at the top, the garret room Jean-Luc used when he needed private time. A dim light shone from the grimy window, giving him hope he might find his father alone.

With cat-like agility, Remy scaled the spout at the building's corner. Once he reached the top story he made his way along the narrow ledge to the garret's window. Ever so cautiously he peered into the room, barely making out the figure bent over a desk. A crooked smile touched Remy's lips . . .whenever something of import happened to the Guild or Jean-Luc one could find him here . . .filling the pages of his private journal. The window swung open soundlessly, yet Jean-Luc's head came up like a shot.

"Who's dere?"

"Jus' de debbil's own, Papa," Remy managed against the lump in his throat.

"Mon dieu, Remy . . ." Jean-Luc leapt up, catching his wayward son in his arms. "So good ta see ya, mon fils. What brings ya to N'Awlins?"

Gambit returned his adopted father's embrace, surprised at the greeting's warmth. A few moments passed before he could speak of his mission.

"Papa, I come ta see Père Louis-Marie 'bout de annulment papers f'r Belle and me. I . . .I want ta marry Rogue, de woman ya met awhile back."

"Den what you doin' here? Don' ya know it's dangerous f'r ya ta be on Guild property?" His adopted father scowled. "Ya know I'm glad ta see ya, but you're takin' a chance."

Remy hung his head. "I know, mon père, but I had ta see ya dis one last time. Ya know I had good reason to kill Julien . . .even though he was Belle's brother, he was evil . . . wanted ta kill me first 'cause I was gonna marry her. It was self defense, Papa."

Jean-Luc sighed. "Dat may be, son, but neither de Assassins Guild nor de External took kindly to de heir to dat Guild dyin' dat way. I had ta banish ya, f'r all our sakes."

"Oui, Papa, I know . . .but dat don' make it any easier. Even wit' my new life, I still miss ya. Wanted ya ta know I'm invitin' ya to my wedding. Don' know when it'll be, but I'll send word from Xavier's school soon as I know."

Jean-Luc gave a crooked smile, one most the X-men would recognize. "I be honored, Remy. If it in my power, I'll be dere. Jus' send de notice in an unmarked envelope, like we used ta do when ya went ta Europe."

Jean-Luc gave a crooked smile, one most the X-men would recognize. "I be honored, Remy. If it in my power, I'll be dere. Jus' send de notice in an unmarked envelope, like we used ta do when ya went ta Europe."

The two men embraced again, then Gambit left the same way he'd come. Despite his keen senses he never noticed the eyes watching his descent and movement toward the church. Sinister had learned the hard way of Remy's skills and being this close to having what he wanted wasn't about to take any chances of losing it.

 

Continued in Chapter 9

 


Down-Home Charm / Fan-Fiction / Fan Artwork / History Books / Photo Album / Songbank / Miscellania / Links / Updates

Legalese: Rogue, the X-Men, and the distinctive likenesses thereof are Trademarks of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission. This is an unofficial fansite, and is not sponsored, licensed or approved by Marvel Comics.
Privacy Policy and Submission Guidelines