(un)frozen

Sesame Street
by Layla Voll

Bobby ducked his head out of the kitchen, scanning the hallway quickly and accurately for potential threats, then slipped silently across the hallway into the living room. It was a brilliant maneuver that would have made Scott proud, had he seen it in the Danger Room or on a mission. As it was, it would probably just have reinforced Scott's opinion that Bobby spent most of his time and effort using his admittedly excellent training on completely frivolous endeavors.

Bobby arranged himself carefully on a chair, prop in hand. (Or, more accurately, prop in ear.) And waited patiently, humming the Sesame Street theme to himself. When he was a child, he'd thought heaven would be living in a basement apartment with a good, solid, serious friend to torture constantly. And, despite all the maniacal supervillians and potential ends of the world, on days like this he knew he was one of the luckiest guys in the world. If only Hank's nose came off.

He didn't have to wait very long. Scott Summers himself appeared in the doorway, looking for the latest copy of Jane's Intelligence Review, which Logan had sworn he'd left on the coffee table that morning. Bobby grinned to himself. Now, if only Scott's childhood was as abnormal as it was supposed to be.

"Have you seen Jane's?"

"What?" Bobby shouted.

"Have you seen -- Bobby, you have a banana in your ear."

Bobby's inner Ernie chortled with glee. "What?"

Scott rolled his eyes. "I said, you have a banana in your ear."

"What's that you say?" Bobby shouted again.

Scott bent over the chair, raising his voice to match Bobby's. "I said, you have a banana in your ear!"

"I'm sorry, Scott, I can't hear you. I have a banana in my ear."

Scott reached over and yanked the fruit out, then sighed. "I know I'm going to hate myself for asking this, but ... why do you have a banana in your ear?"

Bobby nearly hugged himself. This was perfect. "To keep away the alligators."

"Um ... we don't have any alligators in the mansion, Bobby."

"See? It works!" Bobby crowed with delight.

Scott stared at his ecstatic teammate, then down at the offending fruit again.

***ZARK***

Bobby was silent as Scott dropped the ashes of what had once been a very fine yellow banana in his lap.

"Now, you look out for alligators, okay?"


Oh, right: Sesame Street and Ernie are property of the Children's Television Workshop; Scott Summers and Bobby Drake are the property of Marvel; the banana joke probably belongs to Oook, Son of Oog, but I saw it first with Bert and Ernie on Sesame Street


-(main) - (biography) - (discussion) - (stories) - (pictures) - (links) - (updates)-